What Does Inclusion Mean? Why is it Important for our PLN’s?

Inclusion is a topic that has been becoming steadily more centered in our society. Knowledge is power, especially in this context. The more educated we become on why embracing our differences is important, the sooner we can make it happen. I remember being in grade school and being absolutely terrified of being different, I mean, growing up gay in a small town surrounded by a heteronormative society doesn’t exactly scream fitting in.

Now, I’ve come to appreciate my uniqueness and much like Moore mentioned, we all have something special to offer. We are all learners and teachers combined, we just have to teach others what we know and be willing to listen to what others have learned. I’m sure most of you reading this have probably seen by now, but I’m an employee at Starbucks and this is where a large part of my PLN exists. Starbucks prides itself on welcoming diversity and to be quite honest, I genuinely see diversity there, throughout all the locations I’ve been to! There are so many different people with different backgrounds, race, genders, spiritualities, beliefs and much more. This type of work environment has allowed me to expand my PLN by exposing me to opportunities to learn about these different identities. Just last week one of my coworkers educated me about the Lunar New Year and the different types of festivities that would normally take place without COVID-19 restrictions. As someone who has never travelled outside of Canada, becoming educated about different cultures brings me so much excitement, as I constantly hear about the knowledge and experiences that travelling can bring.

I’m definitely someone who enjoys learning from others, as opposed to being the “loudest in the room,” or the one whom leads the conversations. I often find myself asking new coworkers lots of questions, it probably feels like a second interview to them. This allows me to find common ground where we can discuss our common interests and I have the chance to learn something new. However, I would not say this work environment is a silo of information, as I often am forced to work with others who I don’t share similar beliefs or interests. I know that being challenged can be beneficial, however, certain subjects can get touchy when someone’s belief just seems “wrong.” But who am I to say? Furthermore, when it comes to my online presence, I am absolutely participating in a silo of information, after all, our search engines use our information to present us with information that they assume we will be interested in. I’ll often find that when I’m talking about being hungry or watching a movie, my Amazon Alexa will recommend that I ask it what restaurants or movie theatres are nearby. Creepy, but thanks?

In terms of using a diverse PLN to broaden my views of inclusion, I think of this very assignment. Simply from listening and allowing myself to learn from someone else’s beliefs about inclusion, I’ve gained a deeper understanding of what that term means. I thought inclusion simply meant not making other people feel left out by allowing them to be in the same classroom, but like Moore points out, just because you’re in the same physical space as someone doesn’t mean you feel included. Inclusion is about allowing people to be different and providing everyone with equal opportunities. I’m learning a lot about inclusion, diversity and equity right now in EPHE 251 which is a course about recreation and leisure service leadership. It’s important that all of us, as a whole, are educated about what inclusion means and what it should look like, so that all of us, as future leaders, can continue to grow.

I want to finish this week’s post with a question. Do you have an experience of a time where you were a leader that encouraged inclusion?

Thomas, Shelley Moore. One Without The Other Stories Of Unity Through Diversity And Inclusion. Portage & Main Press, 2016, pp. 6-10, 11-12.

You may also like...

2 responses

1. Nav says:

Hi Conrad, honestly speaking, I can definitely relate to so many of the points you made. You mention growing up gay in a small town with a heteronormative society didn’t help the whole aspect of fitting in…. I grew up in India in a hyper-conservative society. Moving to Canada where everything was polar opposite presented a great challenge when it came to in. I am sure in many ways I cant relate to exactly how you would felt when you were trying to feel included, but I feel like in some ways, we both felt similar situations and emotions.

Furthermore, just like you, I have also gained knowledge from learning about other’s perceptions through matter most. Particularly, your blogs have helped me understand a lot about PLN and have also inspired parts of my writing this far into the semester. Mattermost is basically a formal social media being used as an informal work submission thus, it provides a nice blend of casual and professional networking medium.

Regarding your question, I always took part in encouraging inclusion in my high school towards international, introverted students and those that suffered from social anxiety. The reason I took initiative to include students in these categories is that when I moved to Canada, I seemed like an introverted kid with social anxiety (which I didn’t have and am an extrovert) and also was an international student. No one engaged with me or reached out to me, so I decided to do what others didn’t for me, hoping that those I help will help others.

2. japaneseteacher says:

Hi Conrad,

I really enjoyed reading your blog post and appreciated hearing your honest thoughts. “I know that being challenged can be beneficial, however, certain subjects can get touchy when someone’s belief just seems “wrong” – I feel you. I sometimes struggle keeping myself together and stay respectful, while still trying to get my message out.

Going off listening and allowing yourself to learn from others about inclusion, I would like to share something that really got me thinking. I was talking to my group members on mattermost about the “different weighting of chairs” that Shelley was talking about in the interview video with Jesse, and what that exactly meant. This inspiring video of Trevor Noah talking about reparations and white privilege was brought up in our discussion. Here, Trevor explains how the racism that black people face in America is a long-standing systemic oppression that has been putting them in disadvantaged place for a long time and in order to truly bring equality in sight, the privileged ones must acknowledge the advantages. When this finally happens, inclusion become real. (I will attach the link below!)

Answering your last question, I try to encourage inclusion as an educator. I teach my students how we can embrace differences, acceptance, forgiveness, care, and more that leads to inclusive mentality. I don’t think Inclusion can really happen all of a sudden without knowing what it is and what it looks like. So it depends on the grade how you do it, but when I was teaching elementary, I used a lot of picture books, activities, big buddies, modelling, and more to teach them inclusion using different senses.

Link to the video:
    https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1226204294795362304?s=20